NGISA has a proud history since its beginnings in 1908. We have a broad cross section of membership in retail, production wholesale and allied trades sectors. In particular we have a competitive independent retail sector in SA, who strongly support NGISA.
The association plays a key role in educating, training, communications and issues management for the industry in South Australia and has relationships with key other industry and government bodies to ensure that the members’ interests are represented at all times.
The NGISA office is in the Urrbrae agricultural precinct, alongside Urrbrae Agricultural High School and TAFE Urrbrae Campus, which has a focus on agriculture and horticulture.
NGISA ASSOCIATION OFFICENursery & Garden Industry South Australia
505 Fullarton Road
NETHERBY SA 5062
T: 08 8372 6822
T: 08 8271 1012
F: 08 8372 6833
Garden City Plastics
VICE PRESIDENTDavid Eaton
NGIA REPRESENTATIVEGeoffrey Fuller
House Plants Australia
Life MembersCraig Norman
Industry Development Committee (Chair)David Eaton
Chief Executive Officer & Public OfficerGrant Dalwood E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Communications ManagerNeville Sloss
Board MembersLaela Bland
Crafers Garden Centre & Landscape Supplies
Wholesale Plants & Products
Poplar Grove Wholesale Nursery
Morgan Park Garden Centre
Barrow & Bench Mitre 10
Benefits Of Membership
There are good reasons to be a member of NGISA. Among them are:
- Automatic membership of NGIA.
- Weekly emailing of NGISA /Nursery Notes', providing timely updates on industry matters.
- Free subscription to 'What's Growing On', a bi-monthly newsletter on issues of importance and interest to members including business skills development, technology, research and development, as well as member news.
- Technical support to inform production and retail nurseries about new technologies, environmental requirements and efficiencies in operation to help them towards best practice and accreditation.
- Promotion and auditing of retail garden centres to achieve membership of the Australian Garden Centre Accreditation Scheme (AGCAS). Currently 17 retail centres are accredited.
- At least twice yearly Trade Days to enable members to promote, buy and order the latest products and new plant releases.
- Annual SA Awards of Excellence, with industry peer voting.
- Special members’ events including the Awards of Excellence dinner and NGISA endorsed Garden Shows such as the SA Autumn Garden Festival.
- Work Health and Safety Updates.
- Award updates for the Nursery Award.
- NGISA Training Seminars and Workshops with reduced rates for members.
- Special rates from Associate members for:
- insurance from Arthur J Gallagher
- legal advice from Bradbrook Lawyers
- business advice & support from Workplace Partners.
SA Gardens & Outdoor Living
NGISA is proud of its association with publishers, Canongate Partners who produce a high quality glossy magazine, ‘SA Gardens & Outdoor Living magazine. NGISA provides material for publication and also acts as a major distributor for the magazine in South Australia. The magazine is being made available to the public through NGISA members, offering a financial return and marketing opportunities.
NGISA has relationships with key stakeholders in South Australia which are important to maintaining the livelihoods of our members. These include the following organisations:
- Horticulture Coalition of SA. NGISA is a member of this organisation which represents the peak industry bodies in horticulture in South Australia.
- Biosecurity SA. We work closely with officers to monitor and advise on any pest incursions and their management.
- SA Water. Over many years the industry has worked at senior levels with SA Water for our mutual interests in advocating responsible use of water in the garden. SA Water is a Gold sponsor of NGISA in 2016-17.
- South Australian Research and Development Institute (SARDI). Members are provided with discounted rates for disease diagnosis and pest identification.
- Adelaide and Mount Lofty Ranges Natural Resources Management Board. We have worked on several joint projects with the NRM, including planting projects and guides.
SA Autumn Garden Festival
In April 2016, nearly 2000 people and 45 stall holders attended this growing annual festival, which is officially supported by NGISA with SA Water the major sponsor. Special guest was ABC's Gardening Australia's Tino Carnevale.
NGISA organises and promotes autumn and spring Trade Days at Urrbrae where wholesalers, green life growers, allied traders, manufacturing agents and affiliated industries display and promote their products.
SA Awards Of Excellence
NGISA's premier promotion acknowledges the industry's highest achievers and all members are eligible to enter. The awards are voted on industry peers and presented annually at SA industry’s most prestigious social event.
Rundle Mall Living Colour Festival
In May NGISA, Ball Australia and key production nurseries worked with the Rundle Mall Management Authority to present the ‘Living Colour Festival’ with planter boxes of colourful and edible plants along the Mall. It was estimated that the event and associated publicity had a potential audience of 2+ million people.